January Meeting Minutes

Updated Friday February 1, 2019 by Matthew Hannon.

1/7/19 Cal Ripken Board Meeting Minutes


Board Members Present

Mark Byrne-President                                                        Andrew Witkowski-Vice President   

Matt Hannon-Secretary                                                      Paul Hebert-Treasurer

Matt Demers-Media & Communications Director              Steve Drescher-Field and City Liaison        

Scott Clough-Player & Coach Development Director                   Kate Berger-Purchasing Director

Financial Review:

Paul provided financial update. League is up $20,000 in cash, which is 70% increase from last December. Registration income increased 10% over last year. Main contributor to increased cash position this year is due to increased sponsorships. League considering making capital expenditures to better experience, most likely at the lower levels. Idea was to make home plate and mound improvements for lower levels. Will need to work with City of Nashua to determine what can be done. Other ideas included purchasing additional helmets with face masks for lower levers and new chalk machines.

Registration Update:

Andrew provided registration update; 160 registrations through January, 6th, which is tracking above last year. Breakdown includes increased registrations for lower levels (minors/rookies/tball), as well as coach volunteers vs. last year. Majors/AAA is tracking even with last year at this time.

Registration reminder emails will continue to be sent bi-weekly for now. Registration deadline for Majors/AAA will need to be determined soon, most likely mid-March to accommodate assessments/draft. Lower level registration deadline will most likely be in early April.

Looking to increase last year’s registrations, which totaled 523.

Equipment update:

Discussion held concerning need to purchase uniforms in next month or so. May need to purchase additional set of Majors uniforms this year. Would like to see size runs for lower levels changed up to include additional smaller sizes, less of larger sizes. Cotton uniforms cost far less than ‘performance’ material uniforms; will take this into account when placing orders.

Positive feedback regarding the distribution of the Cal Ripken Way coaching books last year. Would like to purchase additional copies of this book to provide coaches again in Spring.

Fields:

Email communication continues with Scoreboard Enterprises on quote for advertising panels for rear of the scoreboard being donated by the Kyle Bedinger Memorial Trust (trust is purchasing scoreboard, League is purchasing rear section and accompanying advertising panels) for Murray Field. Need to determine color and get clarification on various items from Scoreboard Enterprises. Kate will coordinate meeting to ensure all questions answered and can move forward with purchase.

By Laws Change Discussions:

Addition discussion on idea of implementing a nominating committee to assist in determining candidates for open Board positions. Moving forward with including this change into the Bylaws for voting. Goal is to ensure board/league sustainability. Nominating committee will be co-chaired by the two members of the executive board who are not up for re-election and include up to five additional committee members with direct connection to league. Any person with direct connection to the league will be able to submit for a position to the nominating committee, as well as on the night of the election.

Board unanimously agrees with need to break up duties of Purchasing position with that of a newly created position. Will be voting to remove Purchasing Director and replace with Concessions Director and Equipment Director for the 2019 Bylaws.

Paul motioned for exception to move voting on Bylaw changes from this meeting to future date in January via Slack. Motion was seconded by Steve and unanimously agreed by all Board members present. This will allow for additional time for everyone to read/edit the ByLaws more thoroughly. Matt H. will compile and send out final draft of changes to be voted on in Slack  starting, January 15th.

Fundraising:

Fundraising events were held at Five Below and UNO’s. Waiting to get final amounts on what was raised at each event.

Need to follow up with convenient MD.

Need to pickup pace on solicitation for calendar donations. Goal is to have calendars distributed at same time as uniforms are. Thought is to have Amy utilize 2018 fundraising list in drive to 'delegate' leads from last year amongst the board members. Whoever makes the contact needs to update the Google drive with an update.

Media & Communications:

Idea presented to order stickers with new Cal Ripken logo and provide one to every player/coach registration for marketing/branding purposes. Matt D. will explore costs to do this.

Need to order KIG banners

Player & Coach Development

Should we do another coaching clinic at Wasserman? Kate Berger will reach out and see if they can accommodate again. Was well received last year.

League exploring the following clinics:

  • DSC strength and conditioning clinic for older age groups
  • NSA no-charge clinics; do one for younger ages taught by high school baseball players. Mark will explore this with Jason Novak
  • Bat demo day; Mark trying setup a bat demo with Dick's at NSA, hopefully in early Feb.
  • Matt D. and Scott to research holding Summer Smash again in 2019

Tryouts need to be scheduled for AAA and majors (possibly 3/16 at NSA and 3/19 as makeup date). Mark to follow up with Jason at NSA.

Drafts: looking to hold at end of March; either at NSA or firehouse.

League wants to explore Majors and AAA divisions playing an ‘exhibition’ game against Nashua Little League teams.  Andrew to follow up with the Little League to see if receptive to idea.

Rules Changes
All board members should review the rules and offer suggestions for improvements. Would like to see changes that clearly lists out Majors draft process, etc. Andrew and Scott to lead.

January 2019 Board Meeting Minutes.pdf