March Meeting Minutes

Updated Monday April 1, 2019 by Matthew Hannon.

3/4/19 Cal Ripken Board Meeting Minutes


Board Members Present

Mark Byrne-President                                                        Andrew Witkowski-Vice President   

Matt Hannon-Secretary                                                     Paul Hebert-Treasurer

Matt Demers-Media & Communications Director              Steve Drescher-Field and City Liaison        

Scott Clough-Player & Coach Development Director        Kate Berger-Purchasing Director

Mike DuVarney-Registrar

Financial Review:

Expenses related to insurance requirements and purchase of new scoreboard at Murray field is increasing costs this year. However, expected advertising revenue from ad space on scoreboard should offset these initial expenses fairly quickly.

Sponsorships so far for 2019 are below expectations. Board needs to focus efforts on sponsorships and fundraising next few months.


Registration Update:

Andrew provided registration update; 380 registrations through March 1, which is above last year (330).

81 coaches have registered so far. Need to ensure all complete the required background checks and online training prior to start of season. 22 of the 81 have completed so far.

Looking to increase last year’s registrations, which totaled 523.

Purchasing Update:

Decision has been made to utilize M&N for uniforms this year. Order has been placed and initial deposit made.

Need to assemble uniform order for Majors.

Decided to go with Cal Ripken branded coaches’ shirts this year rather than matching team uniform shirt. This way coaches can re-use shirt in subsequent seasons/wear outside league activities.

Agreed to order Nashua Cal Ripken stickers and provide to all league registrants.

Agreed to order the Cal Ripken Way coaching books to provide to new coaches again this year.

Scoreboard order for Murray Field has been finalized with approximately $7,500 commitment from league.

Fields:

Need to provide copy of league insurance to Nashua Parks and Recreation.

Need to ensure concessions stands are prepared for and get health inspections completed.

Parks and Recreation are discussing improvements to fields at Jackson Park, primarily related to water drainage. Parks and Rec have also communicated they’ll have two more employees this year and should be better equipped to keep up with mowing at fields, etc.

Fundraising:

League is close to collecting enough donations to ensure have enough prizes for annual raffle calendar fundraiser. Board has assigned specific business solicitation to specific members in Amy’s absence. Expect to have raffle calendar finalized and ready to hand out at beginning of season.

Agreed to offer incentive (Nashua Cal Ripken apparel) to those who sell 25 or more raffle calendars.

Concessions:

Still looking to fill recently created Concessions Director position. Kate has contact that may be interested in helping this role, but not wanting to take on full commitment of position.

Idea was made to send email blast to families of returning Majors players as concessions are only at Majors fields.

Player & Coach Development

Finalized date (3/9/19) to conduct league pre-season (tball, rookies, minors: 9 a.m to 10:30 a.m.) and pre-assessment (AAA & Majors: 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.) clinic at NSA.

Finalized dates (3/16 & 3/19) to conduct AAA and Majors assessments at NSA.

Looking to utilize Play Ball again for coaches to meet teams and hand out uniforms/raffle calendars. Need to finalize a date for this with Play Ball. Also, thinking of doing coaches clinic at Play Ball this year.

Steve D. looking to conduct umpires clinics this Spring; one classroom style for rules and one ‘cage’ session for umpire positioning, etc. Steve D. will solicit attendance based on prior year umpires and those who have expressed interest for this year.

Draft dates set (3/25 and 3/27) for AAA and Majors drafts. Both will be held at Lake St firehouse meeting space.

Rules Changes
Andrew presented rules changes to AAA draft and Minors level incorporating ‘Hit and Run’ format. Matt H. to setup Slack voting channel for board members to vote on approval of each of these changes.

Agreed to keep ‘Hit and Run’ format at Tball and Rookies level this year.

March 2019 Minutes.pdf